Senior Pet Wellness in Libertyville
It’s hard not to hold your senior pet a little closer as they navigate their golden years. Their health is more fragile during this period, and it can change seemingly overnight. At GreenTree Animal Hospital, we love seeing our sweet senior patients for their routine exams and making sure they’re in the best of health. We recommend getting in touch with your veterinarian and scheduling a checkup for your companion so that together, we can ensure they have the best quality of life.
Why Semi-Annual Exams are Important for Seniors
Semi-annual examinations are essential for senior pets because they allow us to detect changes in their health that might indicate a serious illness. Since dogs and cats age much faster than we do, their health also changes more quickly and as they get older, they become more vulnerable to disease. Therefore, we recommend a wellness check every 6 months (especially for larger dog breeds, who age even faster) so we can monitor your pet more closely.
Often, by the time pet parents notice any changes in behavior or eating habits, their pet’s condition has already advanced and become more difficult to treat. This is especially true for cats, who may not show any signs of illness at all until their condition has progressed significantly.
Common Health Issues in Senior Pets
Senior dogs and cats often live with chronic health problems that require regular monitoring, such as:
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Thyroid disease
- Liver disease
With semi-annual exams and blood tests, we can help your pet manage their condition and live more comfortably.
What We Do at Semi-Annual Senior Pet Exams
- We take a thorough history of your pet and ask about any changes you may have seen in their behavior since their last veterinary visit. We will also monitor and record any changes/trends in weight.
- We perform a complete physical examination that includes checking your pet’s eyes, skin, ears, nose, teeth, and face to look for underlying health problems.
- Additionally, we need to observe how your pet walks and stands to make sure they don’t have painful joints.
- We listen to your pet’s heartbeat and breathing and check their pulse.
- We feel around your pet’s belly, legs, and lymph nodes for signs of inflammation or discomfort.
Another service we offer is a senior diagnostic imaging panel, which includes chest X-rays and abdominal ultrasound. If you book your pet’s X-rays or ultrasound procedure within 6 weeks of their wellness exam, you can receive a discount.
Let’s Work Together to Keep Your Senior Pet Healthy
Remember, looking after your pet’s health requires regular visits to your veterinarian, even if your pet does not show outward signs of illness. We rely on trends and regular check-ups to be able to detect problems early, and help prevent bigger problems in the future. Addressing health issues on time makes it easier to keep your pet happy and healthy for as long as possible.