Spay and Neuter Surgery at Our Practice
Like any of our other services, spay and neuter surgery provides our patients with best-in-class care and the highest safety standards. At our practice in Libertyville, we work to customize our care to maximize your pet’s health. Therefore, we advise our patients on the best time for spay and neuter surgery on a case-by-case basis, though a general timeline can be kept in mind.
About When Pets Can be Spayed or Neutered
The ideal time for spay and neuter surgery can vary from one pet to the next. Cats are often ready by 5-6 months of age. For dogs, we offer 6 month old puppy visits to discuss spay and neuter surgery as well as nutrition and any other life style vaccines your puppy may benefit from. This visit gives the doctor the opportunity to provide an oral exam to make sure all adult teeth have erupted and discuss pre-surgical preparation before scheduling surgery. If you have a new puppy or kitten, schedule an examination right away. Then, our doctors can guide you on the best time for your pet and provide you with a comprehensive health plan. Pet vaccinations are as equally important as spay and neuter surgery. Contact us to learn more or to schedule a visit with us today.
Gifting them with Longer, Healthier Lives
When you have your male pet neutered or your female pet spayed, you offer them numerous behavioral and medical benefits. Consequently, you help extend their lives by providing health benefits as well. Furthermore, you increase both you and their quality of life because you’ll enjoy valuable behavioral benefits.
Male and female pets receive behavioral and medical benefits:
- Unwanted pregnancies are eliminated in female pets.
- Mammary gland tumors are less likely to develop in females.
- Ovarian and uterine cancers are less likely to develop in females.
- Male pets are less likely to develop prostate disease.
- Any chance of developing testicular cancer is eliminated.
- Mounting behavior is reduced or eliminated in male pets.
- In males and females, urine spraying behavior is reduced or eliminated.
- In males and females, roaming behavior is reduced or eliminated.
Contact us to learn more about spay and neuter surgery at our practice. We look forward to helping you and your pet.