Preventative Care for Pets
Prevention is the foundation of your pet’s healthcare regimen. By keeping your pet healthy from the start, we can help them avoid potentially harmful conditions later. Part of your pet’s preventative care routine should involve parasite prevention. Parasites including ticks, fleas and mosquitoes will always be a menace to our furry friends, but we can keep them protected with the right preventative protocols.
Our hospital carries a variety of high-quality products to keep parasites at bay. These can come in both chewable tablet and liquid topical form, and include:
- Revolution (topical for heartworm/fleas/ticks – cats & dogs)
- Heartgard Plus (chewable tablet for heartworm – dogs only)
- Interceptor Plus (chewable tablet for heartworm – dogs only)
- Simparica (chewable tablet for fleas and ticks – dogs only)
- NexGard (chewable tablet for fleas and ticks – dogs only)
- ProHeart 6 (injectable for heartworm – dogs only)
Why is Parasite Prevention So Important?
Parasites are not just an annoyance; they can also spread diseases among animals and people. Ticks can spread Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and cause tick bite paralysis. When they bite, fleas can cause pets to have an allergic reaction. Mosquitoes carrying heartworm disease can easily pass it on to pets with just one blood meal. Heartworm disease is especially dangerous because symptoms may not be obvious until things are well underway. Left untreated, heartworm disease can be fatal.
Talk to us about your pet’s prevention needs. Like you, we want what’s best for them, and we can help you make the best decisions regarding your their care. For more information about our parasite preventatives, call us today at (847) 680-6543.